Saturday, October 23, 2004

Tongue and Groove

DIY: Upgrading My Kitchen

I have talked about this for 4 years, ever since I bought this house. My kitchen is ugly - it's outdated - the original kitchen in a house that's about 50 years old. I have yellow linoleum that doesn't have a bit of shine to it's name. I don't want to have to scrub the floor, and I really mean scrub it - like with brushes on knees. I want a floor that looks clean when I mop it, you know, maybe even use one of those new Swiffer Wet Cleaners. And when I wash it I want it to look clean. Is that so much to ask??

Well, since I tend to procrastinate, I guess it is. And I don't know anyone that can install it for me, like a friend who's a professional that would do this small job on the side. So, we are going to learn how to Do It Ourselves. Sometime in the next few weeks, we will begin the work. Once we begin the work, I'll keep you posted with daily photos of the progress on my site. The only thing that we don't know how to do is install the floor. Any kind of floor, so if we're going to learn how to install a floor, better to be laminate tongue and groove floor than linoleum.

I'm going to be bold in my kitchen and paint 2 different colors, a deep, rich red on two walls and a nice, calm sage green on the other two walls. And the nice thing is, if it doesn't look right, gee, it's only paint and can be changed. But I think that I will love it!

Right now, the walls are white, the counter is a yellow/green kind of color - close to a sage or celery green - oak cabinets, stove top, double ovens built in, and then a nice big wall that's home to the fridge and an island with cabinets on top. I definitely need the cabinet space, so I'm happy with all of that. I could use more storage, but who couldn't? I'm gonna keep all the cabinetry and appliances as is for now. Therefore, I want to make a small investment for the time being. Anything would be an improvement over my current look. If that's what you want to call it :)

I'll add some links and get the page ready. I have already taken before shots, now I just have to start the work sometime in the next couple of weeks so I can have the mid- and after- shots to show off.

No comments: