Monday, November 22, 2004

My remodeling project

it's looking pretty terrific!

I'm afraid of color. I have lived in house my whole life where everything was stark white with beige carpet and the only color in the rooms were the furniture or slip covers or pillows. Nothing overly dramatic....

My living room is the first room in my house that got dressed up 3 years ago and I still love it! I get so many compliments on it, from my neighbors that can see in, my friends that come over and my family. It's a wonderful room. Anitque white on 3 walls, then on the wall with the fireplace - the fireplace is bright white high gloss, the wall behind it is a deep royal blue. It's gorgeous, the wall really pops and the fireplace pops off of it! I'll post pictures!

So next room I tackled was my bedroom. I did that 2 years ago. I was going to go for a fantastic shade of pink/red with leaf-green accents, but at the last minute, I chickened out and just went with the leaf-green walls. I want to accent some of the furniture in the room with some purple and pinks with leaf-green mixed in. I think it will look great and I am just looking for the right patterns and colors to mix. I need inspiration or I can't do it.

Now, my kitchen. Well, if you have looked around my website (click on the sun at the top of the page) then you will see my DIY link and how ugly my kitchen is. That was until a couple of days ago. On Friday, I went to the hardware store, picked up the paint and came home to empty out the kitchen. I moved some of the serving pieces to the basement bar for storage and to make more room in the cabinets. On Saturday, my youngest daughter and I started working on the kitchen. She caulked and sanded the blemishes on the walls and ceiling. We taped off the kitchen and she painted the ceiling, then cut in the walls. I rolled out the ceiling and the walls. The colors are VERY DRAMATIC and beautiful!! Two walls are a bold red/orange and the other two with some extra cuts are a subtle sage green. Absolutely wonderful. I've been taking pictures and will upload them tomorrow.

My goal tomorrow is to finish the green and the cuts, pull the tape off and start making the kitchen look like a kitchen again. I'm going to make curtains - I have some fabulous fabric that I bought at a yard sale from a designer. I paid $5, he paid about $160/yard and there's close to 5 yards!! What a great deal and it looks marvelous!! Then I'm going to get a new shelf to put in front of my picture window for plants and the microwave. I'd like to accent with as much color as I can. It's great, I didn't realize that color begets more color!! It's a totally wonderful thing! I'd like to hang some shelves above my cabinets for little plants and doo-dads. A new table and some great looking tablecloths and napkins. Matching dishes and glasses. So far, I've spent a total of $125 including a runner, fabric, and paint.

Tomorrow, I'm heading to the carpet store and order linoleum to be installed by the holidays (I HOPE). And that should pull it all together :)

I'll be so excited to start entertaining!!

No comments: