Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Blog the Vote!

Election Day 2004

Yesterday was election day. I thought that it would be a very tight race, like in 2000. I didn't think that my opinion was very popular among my co-workers, so, I worked to keep my opinions to myself. It seemed to be the best way to go.

The refreshing part for me is that most of my friends' thinking is mainly the same as mine. But even with them, I try hard to not discuss politics with people, it's just a good policy to keep some things private.

Having said that, I can honestly say that in Presidental Elections, I have voted for Democrats, Independents, and Republicans depending on the candidate, their positions & ideas and the State of the Union at the time.

I live in one of the swing-states: Ohio. In fact, no republican president has ever been elected to the office without taking Ohio. My county is traditionally republican and has been ever since I've been aware. When I was younger, my parents, aunts/uncles, cousins, were all very active in the Republican Party. We went to Rep Party meetings, active in our precincts, hosted the polling location at our house, belonged to Daughter of the American Revolution and DeMoley.

Living in Ohio, both candidates and their running mates visited our area multiple times. There were people taking signs out of yards (from both parties) and I even had a friend that was out one day and someone actually covered the bumper sticker on her car with the opposing party's. There were more commercials on about the race and to be honest, I'm glad it's over and no more ads running for a while.

The polls in my precinct were crowded in the morning before work, with long waiting lines. I decided to wait until a little later in the morning and head back over there. It was a good choice. No lines, walked right up to the table and then to the voting booth. But there were lines in some parts of Ohio that lasted hours and hours! What an incredible day!!

Well, I hope you got out and voted for your candidate, whether or not he won.

No comments: