Monday, December 11, 2006

Surgery - Day 9 - It's amazing!!

I have to say that I am blown away by how quickly I am feeling ok. I mean, my foot does tingle, I do get pains in it, but it's nothing like I was worried it would be. I've been very careful with it, I've followed the Dr's directions to the letter. Elevation, keep it totally dry, no direct pressure on my foot only using my heel for balance from time to time. resting, staying in bed (which I am quickly becoming to hate), using all of my mobility helpers - crutches (haven't used yet too much), the walker (it's been my lifesaver) and my wheelchair (another lifesaver, it has allowed me to actually go out of the house and enjoy a little outing or two or three!!).

I've taken my pain meds, and so far, so good. I have weaned myself down to just a little each day, I'm not even taking them every 4 hrs now, just when I need them. So, I'm really proud of my progress. In fact, tomorrow I go to the Dr's, get the stitches removed and I think I get a hard cast put on, right now I have a soft cast/splint up to my knee protecting my foot, not allowing it to bend at all. That's been a good thing!!

I have been out of the house thanks to the use of a wheelchair and my loving family taking me out - it's kind of hard - almost like taking a baby out by the time I get all of my "stuff" together. Pillows, jacket, purse, wheelchair, heave wheelchair in back of SUV - that takes a little muscle! But they have been wonderfully kind in taking me out just a "Little".

Friday - Beka took me out of the house, for the first time since the surgery. It was a beautiful day, sunny, warm, a little windy. We went to her college for an art fair. There were so many wonderful, charming pieces that students made and were selling. Blown glass of all shapes and sizes, pottery, knitted scarves, handmade nature greeting cards, ceramics in every shape and size and utility, and of course the ever popular jewelry. I bought a few things for the kids and a couple things for myself. It was fun just her and I going out and she was ever so mindful in taking care of me. :)

Saturday - Roland and I went up the street (drove this time) to the neighborhood movie theatre to see a matinee. We went to see "Deck The Halls" with Matthew Broderick and Danny DeVito. It was very funny, I caught myself laughing out loud several times. I totally enjoyed it - maybe it partly the percocets and partly just being out of the house, but it was fun!! Besides, there was only a grandma with her grandson in the theatre. So, it was kind of like a private showing!! That's why we LOVE the matinees!!

Sunday - Roland and I went to a co-worker's home for a lovely Christmas party. It was a little of a hassle in the wheelchair, getting in the house was an issue. We had to go thru the garage, hop up a little step and then in thru the house. The thing is here in California houses are not that big, so we pretty much had to rearrange as we went through the living room, to find me a spot that was off to the side and out of the way. It was nice to go though, and I had previously warned Sue that if I did come, I would be in a wheelchair. I got to meet quite a few people's spouses and children from work, so that was very nice. I think there was a lot of people there, I couldn't see everyone, of course from where I was. The food was lovely, I had some things that were quite different. Cucumber chunks stuffed with crab salad, that was delish. Then there were nacho chips (full sized) with guac, sour cream and chipotle chicken stuffed in them. That was good too. Lots of sweets appeared on my plate thanks to my adoring honey!! Such as: miniature cheery cheesecake in graham cracker crust EXCEPT it wasn't cheesecake it was a graham cracker crust, a dab of choc pudding the rest of vanilla pudding and a spoon on cherry pie filling on top. It was very good. There was cheese trays, lots of imported beer, some dinner food that was a little too exotic for my tastes, but nonetheless, there was something there for everyone and everyone was having a good time.

So, today, I rest, I might venture outside to sit in the sun later, I'm not sure. But I will rest, relax, and enjoy because I'm going to get back to work on Wed. I'll work from home, I can't go into the office, but I can help with some issues that have been going on while I've been out.

Thanks for all the well wishes from my kids, family and friends, glad they have been calling and checking up on me. Thanks for my daughter, Beka, for being a wonderful assistant, waiting on me when she is here to help out. And mostly for Roland's dedication to serving me, helping me and taking care of me. I couldn't have done this without you, sweetie! I love you every day more than the day before. (He's been off work the entire time to help me, I love that man sooooo much!!)


"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."

-- Colin Powell

No comments: