Monday, December 11, 2006

The Devil in the White City

I'm reading a non-fiction book, The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. It was recommended by a friend of mine at work. Well, let me tell you......it's kept me enthralled. I've been off work and in bed, so reading this book has been good in between sleeping, resting and playing on my computer, like now.

It's about the man in charge of building the 1893 World's Fair grounds and buildings in Chicago and another man who was a serial killer and used the fair to lure young women into his hotel that was built for with death chambers.

It is so sad to think of all the young women that went to Chicago to become independent and self-sufficient and only found themselves in his horrible house.

So far, I would say the book is written with subtlies, but allows for the reader to understand what the killer did without being so graphic. I like that. I'll give you more when I'm through, I'm about 3/4 of the way right now.

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."

-- Colin Powell

No comments: