Saturday, April 07, 2007

Needed a little time to digest the change

Everyone reacts differently to life-changing news. How do I? I look inside for strength, pull away from reality for a very short time, then make a plan, execute to it and face the challenge. In this case, I took an evening to digest the impact of getting laid off on my family, my finances, myself. Then I spent time with my family, getting rejuvenated by their love. Talked to a few others that were first-round casualties, then got a good night's sleep.

Things always look brighter in the morning, don't they? I woke up energized! Drank some coffee that my wonderful man made for me and enjoyed some breakfast, took the pup for a walk. With a clear head, I tackled my resume. I am not very confident in my resume, so I make changes, then change them again, and again. I guess it's ok, but it's very difficult to write what you think someone else wants to see :) IF ANYONE READING THIS IS AN EXPERT, PLEASE REVIEW MINE :) I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL!!

Anyway, I made my changes, looked for some of the recruiters that I worked with a year ago and got my resume out there. Then one of the guys that I worked with just now took it and passed it on to 2 of his friends, 1 was VERY happy to receive it, so YIPPEE! Well, in total 13 resumes went out by the end of the day and since it was Friday before a holiday weekend, I didn't expect to hear back.

Surprise!! I did hear back from 2 recruiters. 1 had one job, 1 had FIVE!! Yep, 5!!!! So, I already have 6 choices to look at and some referrals from friends. Wow! I am sooooooooooo glad. And it was only ONE day of working on it. I know I won't get that kind of response everyday, but it's wonderful to kick start the job search in such a positive way.

Have a Happy HOPPY Easter!!

"The best way to keep children home is to make the home atmosphere pleasant--and let the air out of the tires."

-- Dorothy Parker

2 comments:

"his-self" said...

I just came across your blog and want to wish you good luck. Somehow I've never had to experience what you're going through. I've spent 36 years with the same large international company...a rarity.

While I don't know exactly what it's like I do wish you good things!

Asghar Javed said...

It is so good to have choices. I am glad to read this. So who is the winner. Where are you joining and when?