Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My problems are so insignificant

Problems, well, I don't have too many - I'm out of a job and I guess if this continues for a long period of time, then I have problems. But for now, that's about it. I try to keep things in perspective. I am a survivor.

I was taught as a child to be responsible for my actions. As the only child in the house it was kind of obvious if I did something wrong - no one to blame it on!! So, I was careful not to do many things wrong. I also learned that there was a severity in the "wrongness". Like taking an extra cookie was overlooked, where breaking a lamp was obvious. The point being no matter what I did, I was responsible for my actions. Simple law of physics: "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction".

Which brings me to the sadness at Virginia Tech. I wasn't going to blog about this, but the sadness came over me today and the reality for those families is horrific! Everyone that was there was affected in some way or another. I just hope that the families can carry on and get the help they will need to carry on without their sons, daughters, husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, friends, and so on. This sort of tragedy is so shocking for a nation to comprehend.

You know, I have a daughter in college, but she lives at home. I know that those poor families who sent their children off to college to get an education to be prepared for a successful life are mourning and will mourn the loss of their children. I am grateful when my daughter comes home everyday. I don't think about mass murderers getting her, but I do pray that she stays safe from drunk drivers, weird men, sickos, and mass gunman. It could happen anywhere, at the restaurant, getting out of your car, in class, at work, in the library. For God's sake, we are an open society that allows free will, it's the basis of our belief system.

So for the family of the gunman, I know you must be heartbroken that your son could do something so horrid. But your loss and hurt is tainted because of how your son became - mentally ill, deranged, lost, psychotic, whatever you want to say. He became it.

But the families of the victims and injured. I pray for you. God Bless You. In Jesus' name.
"Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!"
--- Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments: