Tuesday, April 19, 2005

work week well under way

And it's so hectic

Good thing I'm feeling better. My week started out pretty hairy and it's continuing that way. I don't have a "busy" calendar but I do have quite a bit of work to do, project work to follow up and financial reporting to complete. I'm a little behind on a couple of items because I've been busy with my clients, but it won't take much to get me back on track. I know that my industry is extremely busy, I just would like to have a breather from time to time. A colleague of mine, who works for another company, described it to me last week as a train that just never stops. That about sums it up.

I feel the effects of that, as I continue to try to find balance between famly life and work life. I don't want my work life to be the main part of me, I want to have a family life - enjoy my kids while I still can, spend time with those I love, try to find a new relationship and still keep up my maintenance on my house and such. It's crazy, but I really want to have a life - many people in IT figure it can happen LATER or after they RETIRE. Geez, I don't want to wait until retirement - that's NUTS! I want to enjoy things now, to stop and smell the roses, to enjoy the laughter in my home, to know what my kids are up to and who they are hanging with, have a nice social life where I actually spend time with my friends and develop a love life that will carry me into my "golden years"! AAAAAACCKKKK!!

So, it's a balancing act. I make lots of lists and cross things off that have to get done. I keep calendars, prioritize work and home tasks. It's the only way. Otherwise, nothing gets done. And the MOST important thing I've learned over the years - DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! For me, it's things like - vacuuming, dusting, cutting the grass, pulling weeds and so on. I will get to it, but maybe not TODAY. I will get them done, in time for the next week of tasks. It just doesn't DRIVE ME anymore.

It used to.....I was totally neurotic. I had to get A, B, C, D, etc. done TODAY. There was no tomorrow, no matter how long, how late and how inconvenient, it HAD TO BE DONE TODAY!!! Whew! Glad I'm past that now. It's freeing, a relief, I'm driven but from within instead of external drive. It's much different now and I'm glad.

Over the weekend, I did shoot some pool on Friday. That worked out pretty well. Last night was pool league night and I won again this week. It's nice to know that all my efforts to beat these guys during the week pays off on Monday nights. When I can put into practice all the tips and tricks I learn from them and beat my opponent. I'm going to permanently join the team on Monday's and shoot pool with them more often. LOVING IT!!

Hey, I gotta get back to work. Will write more later......

No comments: