Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Twists and Turns

Every once in a while, you have a week that is unforgetable. This is one of those weeks.

After several weeks of extreme fatigue, sick to stomach, most food tasting bad and generally feeling bad, my sweetie worked with his doctor and was deemed ready to start his kidney dialysis. We weren't sure what it was going to be like and certainly, he was unsure, wished it wasn't now and somewhat fearful of the unknown. He started on Tuesday and I have to say that right from the first go he felt better.

I really wanted to be with him, but had an appointment set up at the DMV and those are hard to come by. So he went to dialysis, I went to the DMV, took my written test (only missed 1), got my license and registered my car. It was a little pricier than I'm used in Ohio. In Ohio, my license renewal would have cost me $55. Here, I had to have my car smog tested - $60, pay "use tax" which was the difference in sales tax between Ohio's 7% and California's 7 3/4% on a car that I purchased last August - $136, then I had to pay for my license plates - $189, new driver's license - $26. And now I'm waiting to hear back from my insurance agent to hear what my new insurance cost will be here. At least we can be added to my honey's insurance and get a multi-car discount, age discount, and add Beka fairly cheaply.

Anyway, as you can see Tuesday was quite busy!!

Then he had to go back for day 2 of dialysis on Wednesday. I drove him there early, dropped him off and then headed to work. Beka is such a big help, she went to pick him up after her class was over, then brought him home. Again, he was feeling pretty good. He actually lost almost 4 lbs. in the two days. Plus has been able to eat and enjoy his dinner. I'm so happy for him. I know how important it is to feel good, have good energy and be happy. And I'm seeing a shift that he's getting back to his old self.

For me Wednesday was an important day. All I could eat all day and Thursday was a liquid diet, chicken broth, jello, tea, lots of water. But I didn't mind having a liquid diet. I felt like I needed a break, clean myself out and hoped to lose a couple of lbs. The big thing was the "electrolysis" stuff that I had to drink last night. It tasted like water with a little salt so it wasn't hard to get down because of the taste, but it was hard to get it down. It made me feel like I was going to throw up - but the next thing I knew it was working and in the bathroom I was!!! That was some amazing stuff!

Then today was my colonoscopy! And great news!! No issues, clean as a whistle, no polyps, no problems!! Made me glad to know!!

Tomorrow is his 3rd day of dialysis. But this time it's close to the house, it's his "regular" timeslot. I'm really happy about that. In the same parking lot is one of my gym's location, so I can go over and work out while he's getting done and then still have time to come and sit with him. That's great!! He goes 3 times a week, so that will be a good thing for me and for him. He'll feel better and I will too. Now that's what I call a WIN-WIN!

Pray for a kidney transplant!!

Take care

"Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."
- Robert Frost

No comments: