Thursday, August 28, 2008

Another day in project paradise

I haven't complained too much about Sharepoint MOSS 2007 up to this point. My current project is being developed in SP, it's a publishing site. I actually read and believed the MS propaganda about all the cool things SP can do right out of the box. Yes, me, the MS skeptic, actually drank the koolaid. But today, when I watched my team of some of the most intelligent people I've ever worked with struggle with the content web editor, all the steps to publish a page, all the hoops to jump through, I really felt this disdain bubble up for Sharepoint.

It's like they must have sat in a room and decided to make this the absolute WORST publishing tool EVER!! I have been far better off with notepad that SP. And my poor teammates! It's their site, they have to maintain it from now out and it's not intuitive, easy, or even make sense in most cases. The success of this project means so much to our team and I fear that once we've negotiated and compromised over the limitations SP presents that now that the content mgmt portion is so horrid, the up-keep will be dreaded.

I hope they find better ways to accomplish what they want. I hope that as time goes by they can hire an intern or someone to come in an just enter content. But in the meantime, I wish them the best and hope they are happy with the end results.


"...And in the end
The love you take
is equal to the love you make."

---The Beatles


Thanks for reading my Heavenly Thoughts

No comments: