Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving Day Feast

What a day we have planned. Actually it's a 2-day event. On Thanksgiving we are going to our friend's house for dinner. There are a few of us that are here with no family, except those we live with. So since we're friends, we're going to get together and celebrate Thanksgiving. We all have so much to be thankful for. We have food, a place to live, friends, jobs, and our lives. That's pretty good stuff!! Plus we all have family and friends living in other parts of the country.

Hey, it's not like it used to be. This will be my second Thanksgiving away from my family. And to be honest, I'm worried that my oldest daughter won't have any place to go to have thanksgiving dinner. I really hope she either goes to our family's house or goes with some of her friends. My son and his new wife will be fine. They will go to his grandma's and relive the wedding memories and begin to make their own memories. And of course, my youngest daughter is here with us, so she'll be having dinner with us.

So back to the dinner and the 2-day event!! So we go to dinner on Thanksgiving at a friends, then on Friday, I do it all over again for ourselves. Very nice!! So I have a 15 lb turkey, will roast it and stuff it with my favorite sage dressing, take the rest of the dressing and add oysters and cook those outside of the bird. We'll have parsnips, yams, mashed potatoes, green beans, salad, fruit and pumpkin pie!! I'll not eat everything that I fix and neither will they. But I'll make enough different things that there's something good here for everyone.

One thing that I'm not going to do is add sugar and sauces to the veggies. You know, like candied yams or green bean casserole. That way it will keep the veggies natural and more healthy. Besides, I gain weight so easily, I'd rather save it for the pumpkin pie!! And what a pie it will be! I'm so excited, my sweetie loves to bake pies and he's very good at it. And his pumpkin pie is excellent. So I'll let him make those.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I'm going to make homemade rolls! I haven't made those in a long time so that will also be a treat! They are so easy and delicious!!

I'm not sure who will be around on Friday, but my house is open for friends and family to stop by and enjoy a delicious meal, glass of wine and great conversation! Hope yours is just as wonderful.

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."

-- Colin Powell

No comments: